Thursday, July 10, 2008

An Alternative Approach

This week I had my third acupuncture appointment and I think I am finally convinced that there really is something to Eastern medical treatments. After over two years of consulting Western medical practitioners about my neck and back pain I was left with a lot of pain, but the reassurance that I am structurally sound. I am thankful that there are not structural problems, but the pain is really starting to get to me. My whole experience with acupuncture has been very pleasant. The practitioner has a broad understanding of the human body, interactions with the environment, as well as Western medical practices and medications. She determined that my liver chi (energy) was stagnant (YIKES!) and that my yang was increased and overcoming my yin (never good). The first session was a bit of a blur as I was trying to keep straight my yin and yang while experiencing the sensation of approximately 30 needles in my body. The needles don't hurt at all going in or leaving. After all the needles are in place you get to just sit, or lay in my case, and relax for about 30 minutes. All in all it is very enjoyable. There are some sensations of tingling or tensing and releasing but nothing thus far has been uncomfortable. The session this week was amazing. After 30 minutes I felt deeply relaxed, similar to the feeling after receiving a massage. I feel like my pain over the past couple days has also decreased...thank goodness!

I wanted to share this experience to say, that in some cases other ways of looking at our bodies and ways to help are bodies are very important alternatives. Prior to this experience I was pretty neutral about alternative therapies, but in my case it has made all the difference.

Peace.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Amber and Alan,
Would you please send me that fabulous picture of the castle at Magic Kingdom? I can't figure out how to copy it. Can I?

Amber, I am so glad you have found acupuncture. I am a believer in alternative therapies, as you know. Relax and let go of that nasty pain.
Ann

Gus and Jen said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better!